Financial support

There are a number of financial support options available to you to help with the costs of studying. These range from student loan programs to help with subject fees, to grants or scholarships that award you money to help pay for study materials and textbooks.

These are Commonwealth government loans used to help eligible Australian citizens, permanent humanitarian visa holders, and certain New Zealand citizens with their subject fees, SSA Fee and other overseas study expenses:

  • HECS-HELP – loan for eligible Commonwealth supported students who want to defer payment of all or some of their subject fees.
  • SA-HELP – loan for eligible students who want to defer payment of their SSA Fee. Those who have a HECS or FEE-HELP loan must still apply for SA-HELP separately.
  • FEE-HELP – loan for eligible domestic fee paying students who want to defer payment of all or some of their subject fees.
  • OS-HELP – loan to help students who undertake part of their study overseas on a student exchange program.

HELP Loans

The 2018 Student Loan Sustainability Bill contains a number of measures that affect Higher Education and Vocational Education and Training students.

From 1 January 2020, a combined HELP loan limit now replaces the FEE-HELP limit and includes FEE-HELP, VET Student Loans, VET FEE-HELP and HECS-HELP.

Only new HECS-HELP borrowing counts towards a person's HELP limit. This means that any HECS-HELP loans taken out before 2020 do not count towards the new HELP limit.

Any FEE-HELP, VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans that counted towards your FEE-HELP limit now count towards the new HELP limit.

Repayments starting from the 2019-20 income year will top up a person's HELP balance.

Any compulsory or voluntary repayments can be re-borrowed in the future, up to the then current HELP loan limit.

FEE-HELP, How much can I borrow?

Eligible students can borrow up to the FEE?HELP limit to pay their tuition fees.

Visit Study Assist for more information.

All students are encouraged to apply for scholarships and grants that can award you a sum of money ranging from $1,000 to $15,000. There is a wide range of scholarships offered to suit different student types. You've got nothing to lose, so see what you're eligible for.

The Department of Human Services (formerly known as Centrelink) offers many financial support options to students such as Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY. See what you’re eligible for.

If eligible, you can apply to defer your fees through a government HELP loan.

Full-time domestic students enrolled in an approved masters by coursework program may be eligible for financial support from the Australian government. See if you're eligible.

If you need to find employment to supplement your income, visit JCU’s Careers and Employability Service. You can access job vacancies and get help with job applications, career planning and more.