Planned JCU system outage 23 to 27 May 2024 impacting student and application portals.

Current Students Enrolment Change course (Variation to Study)

Change course (Variation to Study)

If you have completed subjects under your current admitted course, you may be eligible to apply for a course transfer.

Please follow the steps below unless you are:

  • are a new domestic student and have not yet studied any subjects (use the change of preference form)
  • are looking to study a subsequent or concurrent degree (complete an Application to study at JCU form)
  • are seeking to study Honours (speak to your course coordinator)
  • are a JCU Brisbane or JCU Singapore student (contact your respective enrolment team)

Step 1 – Choose your course

Go to the JCU Course and Subject Handbook to browse courses.

Step 2 – Meet application eligibility criteria and course requirements

  • Ensure you do not have any outstanding Sanctions in place that prevent enrolments of subjects;
  • Ensure you meet the Course and Subject Handbook Requirements for the new course;
  • International sponsored students must have permission from their sponsor to transfer courses

Step 3 – Complete forms

Complete the Variation to Study application.

If you have completed study at another tertiary institution and are seeking credit towards your new course please complete an Application for Credit.

Courses ineligible to transfer include:

  • Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
  • Bachelor of Dental Surgery
  • Bachelor of Nursing and Midwifery (Domestic Students Only), or
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Science

If you wish to change course, follow the below steps prior to the closing date based off your citizenship status.

Domestic Students

Students who are Australian or New Zealand citizens, Australian permanent residents, or Australian humanitarian visa holders:

  1. Apply online through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC), and
  2. Submit a JCU written application form (not required for Nursing and Midwifery).

International Students

Students who are not Australian or New Zealand citizens, not Australian permanent residents, and not Australian humanitarian visa holders:

  1. Apply online through the JCU course application form; and
  2. Submit a JCU written application form.

Closing dates for applications are listed on the Academic Calendars.

We will endeavour to email your JCU student account with an outcome within 20 University working days of receipt of a complete application. Some application outcomes may take longer.

If you are unsuccessful, you will remain admitted to your current course.

If you are successful, once you are admitted into the course you are transferring to you will be automatically withdrawn from your current course (pending outstanding results). We recommend you read the Course Transfer Procedure which includes further information around the assessment of an application.

More questions?

For further information, visit Ask Us – there are more than 1,000 commonly asked questions and answers available 24/7.

Useful links